Gothic house Poland
Gothic houses in Poland.
The house of Nicholas of Kopernika, Torun (Toruń,. Torn).
A beautiful example of Polish residential (not religious) Gothic 15th century
Faceted (Episcopal) chamber in the Novgorod Velikiy.
The first residential secular building of stone in Novgorod.
Incredibly, the Hanseatic Gothic style had penetrated even into the center of the Orthodox Russia – in the courtyard of the Archbishop of the Novgorod Citadel.
The chamber was founded by Novgorod Archbishop Euthymios, appointed in 1429. In 1441 was painted with frescoes, as was intended for ceremonial receptions and meetings. Here met the Council of lords is the Supreme authority of the boyar Republic. In the house, took foreign ambassadors, organized the official celebrations.
After the destruction of the Republic by Ivan the Terrible in the 16th and 17th centuries the building underwent significant reconstruction. Western architectural elements (the Gothic Gables) is alien to the Orthodox people were destroyed.
Going back to the 15th century, I must say that in Novgorod until 1412 sat proteges of king władysław jagiełło and Prince Witold; for example, the king’s brother – Lagueny Olgerdovich.
It was the beginning of the 15th century was a period of cultural convergence Novgorod with Poland and GDL. “Pro-Lithuanian” party of the boyars was at that moment the most influential.
At the time of Prince Lugina Euthymius was Abbot of the mother of God monastery on Lisich hill near Novgorod. It is possible that communication with Lugones, who often visited in Vilna, Troki (recently rebuilt by German craftsmen), as well as in Krakow influenced the decision of the Bishop will turn to German architecture. In any case the decision was very unusual, because according to the evidence of a Flemish traveler Gillberg de Lannoy, appeared in Novgorod in 1412 – nor any European elements of architecture in Novgorod he didn’t notice. Even the Citadel consisted of traditional Russian fortifications: “the Town is surrounded bad walls made of wattle and earth, while the tower look”.
On the emergence of Gothic architecture in Novgorod could have been affected by the Hanseatic trading office (courtyard) located on the other side of the Volkhov. Despite the fact that the yard have been built traditionally for Russia from the logs, the merchants could contribute to the negotiations with the German architects.